Sunday, March 27, 2011

Travels: Days 4 & 5, London

On Monday I went to Tower Hill and spent hours wandering around. I went to the old execution grounds, and then to the Tower Hill Memorial. Then I walked across Tower Bridge, which apparently lots of people think is London Bridge. Afterwards I bought a ticket for the Tower of London and went on a little tour of the castle. The guide told us lots of infamous stories: two princes were in the castle when their father (the king) was killed. They were placed under the care of their uncle until the oldest was old enough to become king. The uncle soon murdered them, leaving him as king. Another story involved the removal of floorboards to find over 1000 bodies, only 33 of which were ever identified.

After the Tower of London, I walked around some more, seeing the Great Fire of London Monument and HMS Belfast. Back in Trafalgar Square, where Nelson's Tower was getting set up for the Olympic Countdown. I went to the National Gallery then, which was insanely impressive. I could have spent days lost in there really. Then it was onto Covent Garden where I had a coffee and watched some street performers. I ended up, somehow, in Harrods, and couldn't help but shop a little bit.

That night we went to the Royal Albert Hall, where we broke a Guinness World Record for the largest number of people playing the kazoo at once!

Tower Hill, the old execution grounds

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

White Tower, inside the Tower of London

Tower of London

Great Fire of London Monument

Nelson's Tower, getting set up for the Olympic Countdown

The National Gallery

Covent Garden

Royal Albert Hall
Tuesday was the most peaceful and relaxing day! I spent several hours lost in the London Zoo - a day can't get much better! In the aquarium, there was a little girl who chattered on, naming all of the fish to her father, and when she came to the tank that held "Dory and Nemo", she couldn't even speak, she just kept saying "wow... hi Nemo" in the softest whisper. Adorable!

There were lots of babies too! A little baby monkey, and a baby gorilla! The mom was in the middle of teaching him to hang onto ropes and such. All he wanted to go was play with a head of lettuce. He would keep reaching for it and she was swat his hand away, and eventually she just knocked it out of his reach, haha.

And then... the giraffes. I've never seen giraffes before, I was completely mesmerized. To the point that a man had to ask me to leave because they were closing... whoops!

Seahorse!




I stillll get goosebumps whenever I look at this picture!

The baby is just so adorable!