Sunday, March 27, 2011

Travels: Days 1 & 2, London

On March 11, my friend Steph and I set off for the UK. We got up before the sun rose, which, believe it or not, is getting difficult to do now! The days are getting much longer, which is very welcome. we began our journey with some samples at the duty-free liquor store at about 7:30 - perfect, haha.

We stayed with Steph's friends in Camden Town, which is a cute little spot near the centre of London - really convenient (and free!). When we got to London, we went to a little pub for some lunch and cider, yum. That night we went to a pub called the Hawley Arms, which is apparently Amy Winehouse's pub of choice in London - sadly, she wasn't there haha. After that we went to We Will Rock You - so wonderful! It was a great night for sure.
Camden High Street, full of markets & street vendors

Me, two of Steph's friends, and Steph


We Will Rock You



On Saturday, the weather was absolutely beautiful! It was probably around 12° and sunny, so I was in heaven when compared to Iceland! (and Nova Scotia). We walked along Oxford street, which is pretty much a shopper's paradise. We ran a couple of little errands (including getting me a SIM card for my phone - I spent around $20 in 11 days texting a total of maybe 4 people, yet in Iceland I've spent only around $10 in 3 months... London sucks haha). Then it was onwards to Primark. This is the largest store ever, and also the cheapest. I got a skirt for £5! it was too crazy for me though, women literally shoving each other out of the way to get to clothes.