Sunday, March 27, 2011

Travels: Day 3, London

On Sunday, March 13, Steph and I went to Trafalgar Square, and walked past the horse guards, down Parliament Street, to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. The buildings were so intricately detailed, they were beautiful! Nearby was Westminster Abbey, also very pretty. We had lunch at a little pub and then Steph headed to southern England to visit a friend, and I was on my own to be as touristy as I wanted! First stop: Buckingham Palace. I took a few pictures there and wandered into St. James' Park. So many bright colours! The trees were all blossoming and the flowers were in full bloom.

I'm so cool



Houses of Parliament

Big Ben!

Westminster Abbey

Queen Victoria Memorial

Buckingham Palace

St. James' Park

Black Swan :)



This fellow was really excited that there was a line of people waiting to take pictures with him...

After that I walked through Whitehall Place, which had a really small but gorgeous garden, and across a bridge over Thames. Then it was time to go on the London Eye! I got lucky enough to be in a capsule with about 20 high school students - kind of annoying, but still such a fun half hour.

After that I took a million trains just to walk across a certain road... Abbey Road! Pretty easy to spot - traffic backed waaay up so people can walk across the zebra crossing & take pictures. I read somewhere that thousands of people do every day, which I completely believe based on the number of people there on the rainy day that I was. Of course I had to sign my name on the wall in front of Abbey Road Studios (which apparently gets re-painted every month or two).

After that I went to Piccadilly Circus, which had lots of construction underway, but which was still really neat - lots of old architecture mixed with digital screens and advertisements. I passed a McDonalds and had to go in and get nuggets - it's weird what you miss when you can't have it! Then I wandered into Soho, and got a cupcake at this little shop called Cox Cupcakes. Then I walked through Chinatown and headed home!

Whitehall Place

The London Eye overlooking the River Thames

Big Ben

View of London from the London Eye

Houses of Parliament and Big Ben

Abbey Road Zebra Crossing!


Signing the wall in front of Abbey Road Studios

Piccadilly Circus