Sunday, January 23, 2011

Reykjavík, January 23

On January 17 there was a snowstorm in Reykjavík. I took a walk down some residential streets to enjoy the view. There are still so many people with their Christmas lights up! I love it :)
The bridge and downtown Reykjavík across a snowy pond
All the houses have pretty fences around them. Some are plain concrete but some are so intricate!

The main shopping street, Laugavegur

Laugavegur in the snow

The ducks and geese in their lovely heated section of the pond

I just love the snow and pretty lights!
On  Wednesday, my friend Simmi gave me a tour of the outskirts of Reykjavík. We ended up at a little beach with a great view of Yoko Ono's peace light.
A huge rock that people jump off of in the summer

At the end of the rocks on the left there is a light that shines straight into the air from October 9, John Lennon's birthday, to December 8, the day he died.
 Handball is an absolutely huge sport here in Iceland. The Men's World Championships run from January 13-30.
The main building on campus, lit up in Iceland's colours (red, blue, and white) for the world cup!

Kris, Sarah, and I at Bjarni Fel to watch the Norway and Iceland game
When I have an errand to run I try to take streets I haven't spent much time on yet, to discover new things!




This bookstore looks like I could get lost in it for hours

A band playing at Sodoma


The main building all lit up in different colours yet again