Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hólavallagarður Cemetary

On January 21, I took a walk through the local cemetary. It was so beautiful! There were so many birds that you wouldn't have been able to hold a normal conversation. It was also the largest number of trees I've seen since I arrived - there's not really much soil anywhere else in the country.
Some pretty flowers

The trees were growing right in the plots!

This was a little baby :(

In some places the trees were taking over

Plots at the cemetary

A three-year old child that passed away over 100 years ago still gets decorations around the holidays

A plot with a gate

So beautiful

The vivid moss

The pathways lit up

An old monument

An old stone

A tiny stone

A display telling me about some of the monuments and the stones of which some of them are made

A really old stone

I'm not sure how I would feel if a tree this large were growing in my loved one's grave?

The gate on this plot disappeard a long time ago

Another sign telling me where some of the famous Icelanders are buried

I'm still really bad with Icelandic names, but based on the dates I am guessing that this is a son, his mother, and his grandmother