Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Forsæludalur & Blönduós

From February 4-6 I went to a farm called Forsæludalur, which is about 45 minutes outside of the little village called Blönduós. The farm has about 350 sheep and 30 horses. The animals are mostly used for meat. I got to help out the family with the feeding of the sheep, which was a lot of fun. Six of the sheep went missing in October, so I went on a "walk" (hiking up a mountain for 4 hours) with two of the sisters looking for them, but had no luck. The farms in the area are 25 minutes back a dirt road, which branches off for each farm, with the roads not named but instead directing you to each farm. 

On Saturday we went to Hreppaþorrablót, which is Hreppa (the area of farmers)'s þorrablót celebration. There was 9 hours of eating, dancing, comedy (which was in Icelandic unfortunately, as it seemed quite funny!) and dancing. 

To my list of Icelandic foods eaten, I can add:
  1. Rotten shark (properly, apparently the last time I ate it, it wasn't rotten enough)
  2. Smoked haddock (not that good)
  3. Sheep's head (also not good)
  4. Dried fish (very very good)
  5. Rotting whale (not good)
  6. Sheep testicles (definitely not good)
  7. Icelandic lamb (delicious)
  8. Blood pudding (horrid. It tastes like its ingredients: flour, blood, fat)
The view from the backyard of Forsæludalur
Forsæludalur
The dog chasing some horses
Waiting to be fed
I made a new friend!
Trying to figure out what the weirdo with the camera is doing in his pasture
Confused as to why they are being photographed instead of fed!
They were just so sweet - I couldn't resist!
More food coming!


The sheep (satisfied with my super feeding job)
Some more of the sheep - I tested out my flash, and it turned the sheep evil
More sheep!
The older sheep were confined to a lower level of the barn :(
The farm pups up to no good
The house, which is also the end of this road
Heading out on the walk for the sheep
Taking a breather
Looking hard for the missing sheep!
A canyon





At the þorrablót
The tables full of food!
My food...
The comedy
My buddy Þórdís and her fiance Jón